WELCOME TO THE PARENT PORTAL!
We, at St. Pius X-St. Matthias Academy, consider it a privilege to work with parents in the education of their children because we believe parents are the primary educators of their children; "Parents are the first and most important educators of their own children, and they also possess a fundamental competence in this area: they are educators because they are parents." (1994 Letter to Families Pope John Paul II). Therefore, it is your right and your duty to become the primary role models for the development of your child's life-physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and psychologically. Your choice of St. Pius X-St. Matthias Academy involves a commitment and exhibits a concern for helping your teenager to recognize God as the greatest good in their life.
PARENT NEWS & INFORMATION
PMA NEWS UPDATE FOR OCTOBER 15-21, 2017
- Congratulations to our 2nd cohort of Parents who completed 4 weeks of PMA’s Parent University this past Saturday. Thank you for taking the time to commit to learning about various aspects of teen development, college processes, and our Catholic faith and spiritual development to strengthen you and your teens.
- PMA is committed to assisting your family grow in both knowledge of and experience of our Catholic faith. To support your family faith formation, you are invited to a new platform available to PMA families. Please watch FORMED TRAILER VIDEO to see what this platform can offer your family. The FORMED platform offers you access to inspiring Catholic studies, movies, audios, and books available on the platform. PMA families can now access this platform by visiting https://formed.org Under the “Register” tab you can register as a parishioner with the access code: WPGXKJ. You can also download the flyer with the Access code. It is our hope that this platform provide you with the tools necessary to help you and your family grow in faith.
- Beginning next week our school will be participating in Respect Life Week, an Archdiocesan-wide project for students in grades K-12 presented by the Office of Life, Justice and Peace and the Department of Catholic Schools. In this Year of Grace, the Moment of Forgiveness, and the time of Mercy, Pope Francis has challenged us to confirm our dignity as a person and a child of God. This year’s Respect Life Week takes up the themes presented by Pope Francis: forgiveness and healing; post-abortion healing; human trafficking; depression/addiction/suicide; adoption and foster care. Respect Life Week will immerse our students in these social topics so that at the end of the week they will have a fuller understanding of the incomparable worth of every person and our corresponding responsibility, at every age level, to respect everyone. We encourage you to view some of the resources and curriculum being discussed so you can continue the discussion in your own families. They can be found at http://archla.org/respectlifeweek.
- You should have recently received an email with our most recent annual report. Please Click here to see the PMA 2016-17 Annual Report or visit our website to see the growth and progress we’ve made in the 2016-17 school year. We have also launched our 2017 Building a Legacy Annual Fund campaign. Please consider inviting your friends and family to support our annual fund by sharing the annual report which also includes a link to donate to the annual fund. All contributions to the annual fund are tax deductible and go directly back to our students.
- The first PTO General meeting will be on Wednesday, October 18. Come and join PTO Board, Mr. Rubalcava and Mrs. Zozaya for the updates of our school. You will earn two hours per family.
- Parents please be aware that on Thursday Oct. 19, 2017 we will be conducting our Run, Hide, Fight Assembly in conjunction with America's Safe Schools Week.
- We will also be participating in the state wide Great California Shake Out at 10:19am on 10/19. Hundreds of schools throughout the state will also be conducting earthquake drills at this time as well. Please take this opportunity to review your families emergency supplies and disaster plans in the event of an actual natural or man made disaster.
- Parents please support and Join us for our Quartermania fundraiser Oct 21st. Quartermania is a mix between an auction and a raffle where you can win prizes for just quarters! Please see the attached 2017 Quatermania PMA.pdf
- Parents please be advised that Casino Night Tickets have been issued to students. Tickets sales are due by January 5th. Please see the attached 2017-18 fundraising flyer for more info.
- Parents share your pictures with the PMA Yearbook! To share, download the Yearbook Snap mobile app from the App Store or Google Play. Or go to yearbookforever.com, enter our school name (Saint Pius X, Saint Matthias Academy) and click on Community Upload. Our school's access code is warriors. Please email questions to email@example.com
- The Booster club is looking for parents who want to earn service hours working at PMA athletic events or donation of items for the snack bar for the 2017-2018 school year. They need sodas, Gatorade, candy, chips, and water. Please email the athletic director for more information.
- If you are trying out for a sport or off season conditioning during the 2017-2018 school year you must complete the athletic clearance information on our website. Go to www.pmawarriorsathletics.com click on warrior HQ and then click on registration. On the right hand side of the page you will see athletic clearance. If you do not have an account register as a new user. You must have all paperwork done with a physical to participate in tryouts or off season workouts during the school year. if you have any questions you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the athletic director.
- On November 30 at 6:30pm we will be having our fall sports banquet at Rio Hondo Golf Course. Invites will be going home with student athletes that are involved in fall sports next week. Please RSVP for the banquet. We will not be taking walk-ups at the door. Student Athletes are free additional guest will be $25 dollars per person. For more information please email the AD @ email@example.com
- PMA Booster Club will be hosting their annual clothes for the cause drive. You can drop off clothes that are in large trash bags in the morning make sure when you drop off clothes that Your son or daughters name is on the bag with their grade. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This months booster club meeting will be held on Tuesday October 24th at 6:30pm in the cafeteria.
- On Monday November 13th we will have the Winter sports parent meeting. If you have a son or daughter playing Boys or Girls Basketball, and Boys or Girls Soccer you must attend this meeting. It will be held in the Gym at 6:00pm.
- Fall parents this is a reminder. Fall sports participation fee is due. To avoid your son or daughter not participating in sports please send you payment into the front office. If you have any questions please see Mr. Barba in the business office.
Athletic Events this week
10/17: PMA Varsity Girls Volleyball @ Cantwell 5:00pm
PMA JV Girls Volleyball @ Cantwell 4:00pm
PMA Frosh Girls Volleyball @ Cantwell 3:00pm
10/19: PMA Varsity Girls Volleyball vs St. Mary’s Academy 6:00pm
PMA JV Girls Volleyball vs St. Mary’s Academy 5:00pm
10/20: PMA Cross Country @ Mt. Sac Invitational TBA
10/21: PMA Frosh Girls Volleyball @ Lakewood Tournament TBA
Please visit www.pmawarriorsathletics.com website to see the most current events happening in our athletic department.
Faith Reflection for the week:
This week we return to focusing on one of our spiritual values that forms the basis for our identity as a Catholic School. This week’s value is
By definition, to be authentic is to “conform to an original so as to reproduce essential features.” As Christians this definition is perfect. To be authentic we are called to conform our lives to our original, God Himself. To live authentically demands a response, to reproduce the essential features of God in our everyday living. By that standard, who are the authentic people in our life? We live authentically, not denying our human weakness or shying away from the need for personal improvement, but working towards holiness, with resolve. The world needs quality examples of Christian men and women who live out their faith. It seems simple in concept. Then why is it so difficult to live out? We constantly hide and become something other than what we are created to be. Why? Somewhere along the way we have swallowed a lie: that just being who we are is not good enough to merit the love of God or others. So we learn to adjust, disguise and hide to be the way we think we need to be. Teenagers are great at this… but so are we. The call to authenticity is essential to both our relationship with God, each other and ourselves. But it must start with us naming the areas of our lives that we have done such a good job hiding. God knows you better than you know yourself. Let us strive this week to live our faith authentically, providing the living example of a Christian, and giving hope that others, too, can follow Christ.